+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spear fishing

Share/Bookmark

Default Spear fishing

I'm going to be in SKN with my scuba/snorkling gear. I also have a pneumatic speargun that I normally dive with, sometimes to fish, more often times just because I'm so used to having it strapped to my leg -it's a mini, mini Mares.
    Two questions: Can I bring this equipment into SKN; Can I use it to fish with?

Exclamation Re: Spear fishing

Hi there,

I did a quick websearch on fishing in St Kitts/Nevis (website covered all caribbean) and as you read the paragraph you will see that not only is spearfishing not allowed, it's considered bad form to even ask about it. So it's a good thing you asked here! I think you must travel to certain, more remote and sport-fishing oriented type locales to do the kind of fishing you are thinking of. In the small, intertwining linkage of so many caribbean islands, folks boating, swimming, scuba diving etc, I imagine it just isn't the right setting for spearfishing.

Somewhere in the Marquesas, Seychelles or Maldives etc might be more appropriate for this type of adventure. When you think about it, and how far back the practice goes back, you think of primitive, uninhabited locales which you might expect someone, a long time ago, with no tackle or means to catch a fish, to whittle down a tree branch into a spear to catch dinner. So I wonder, how fair is it with the spear gun? I don't imagine either manner is particularly easy.

As for traveling with it, just be prepared to check the equipment, perhpas label it fishing equipment but don't expect at all to be bringing it on the plane!

In St Kitts/Nevis, maybe go back to fishing with rod and reel and enjoy fishing the "typical" way; any day spent out on the beautiful waters communing with nature is better than any day spent doing much else! There's something about boating that takes the agression and crankiness out of people and finds everyone waving to each other as one boat passes another!! Now picture the same scenario except it's 2 SUVs at rush hour and they're flipping each other the bird for no good reason. Water IS tranquility; I guess that's why we get to float around in it for 9 months and why I stayed in for an extra 2 weeks, much to my mother's discomfort.

Happy fishing. And walking around with that thing sounds way dangerous dude.........just chill out and go bare legged.

http://www.destination360.com/caribb...an-fishing.php
    Colleen Costello
    Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
    www.IndependentTraveler.com
    Follow on Twiiter @TravelEditor & Facebook
    HostColleen
    www.FamilyVacationCritic.com
    Follow on Twitter @FamilyVacation & Facebook

Default Re: Spear fishing

Hi Colleen,
    Thanks for the detailed response. Better to ask in advance than to be an inappropriate guest.
    Best,
    KW

For fishing information I highly recommend No Problem Boat Charters. www.fishstkittsandnevis.com

I thought I would join this thread to ask about spearfishing in a shallow river. I saw a guy doing this in Castor River, in Glen Allen, MO. I am going to try it out this summer and was wondering if I can get any tips as a complete beginner to this type of fishing. I can start a few miles up stream and end up back at my campground to give an idea of what I have to work with. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Also what kind of gear would I need? The man I saw I think had a blade and not a speargun.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Bonjour View Post
    Hi there,

I did a quick websearch on fishing in St Kitts/Nevis (website covered all caribbean) and as you read the paragraph you will see that not only is spearfishing not allowed, it's considered bad form to even ask about it. So it's a good thing you asked here! I think you must travel to certain, more remote and sport-fishing oriented type locales to do the kind of fishing you are thinking of. In the small, intertwining linkage of so many caribbean islands, folks boating, swimming, scuba diving etc, I imagine it just isn't the right setting for spearfishing.

Somewhere in the Marquesas, Seychelles or Maldives etc might be more appropriate for this type of adventure. When you think about it, and how far back the practice goes back, you think of primitive, uninhabited locales which you might expect someone, a long time ago, with no tackle or means to catch a fish, to whittle down a tree branch into a spear to catch dinner. So I wonder, how fair is it with the spear gun? I don't imagine either manner is particularly easy.

As for traveling with it, just be prepared to check the equipment, perhpas label it fishing equipment but don't expect at all to be bringing it on the plane!

In St Kitts/Nevis, maybe go back to fishing with rod and reel and enjoy fishing the "typical" way; any day spent out on the beautiful waters communing with nature is better than any day spent doing much else! There's something about boating that takes the agression and crankiness out of people and finds everyone waving to each other as one boat passes another!! Now picture the same scenario except it's 2 SUVs at rush hour and they're flipping each other the bird for no good reason. Water IS tranquility; I guess that's why we get to float around in it for 9 months and why I stayed in for an extra 2 weeks, much to my mother's discomfort.

Happy fishing. And walking around with that thing sounds way dangerous dude.........just chill out and go bare legged.

http://www.destination360.com/caribb...an-fishing.php
    Yes it certainly sounds way dangerous. And since you mentioned it, in Seychelles it is illegal to fish with spearguns. And I would not get in a plane with this thing if I were you, or else you could end up in some serious trouble

+ Reply to Thread