+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Traveling Around the World

Share/Bookmark

Default Traveling Around the World

It's many travelers' ultimate dream -- to take a few months or a year and travel around the world. Have any of you actually done it? Or are you planning your own future trip? Here's the place to discuss all aspects of traveling around the world!

Related Story: Round-the-World Fares
    Last edited by SarahS; 12-08-2006 at 11:36 AM.
    Sarah Schlichter
    Senior Editor
    Independent Traveler
    www.independenttraveler.com

Default Re: Traveling Around the World

Oh man, I would love to do this! But there are so many variables to consider that I don't really know where to begin. How long would I go? How many continents would I do? (Seems like Australia/New Zealand could be their own trip, ditto for Europe, so maybe I'd do S. America, Africa and Asia?) And most importantly, where I would I come up with enough time off? It's tough when I actually like my day job!

I'd love to hear from anyone who did make this happen so that I could pick their brain...
    "I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

This is something I did in 1989-1990 at the age of 42. I took a year, threw on a backpack and set off alone. It was the best experience of my life. I traveled cheap, ending up having experiences like crawling in the window of a youth hostel in Portugal with a bunch of kids half my age because we had stayed out at the local bar past curfew. What a kick. Some of it was difficult, and I did get very sick in Spain, but even the hard parts gave me incredible memories.

There weren’t many women traveling alone back then, and I think that let me connect in ways that were unique and very rewarding. I rode airplanes, boats, motorcycles, bicycles, horses and elephants (still haven’t been on a camel!). I took thousands of pictures and filled hundreds of pages in my notebooks. I travel differently now – spend more money, rent cars, stay in nicer places, but as much as I still love to travel, it will never be the same as that incredible year.

The only way I could pull it off was not look at the big picture too much when I was planning it. What I mean by that was I had a big, overall plan, but if I concentrated on it I would feel overwhelmed. I had to just break off little bits at a time, finish them and move on to the next. Hire a lawyer to watch out for my interests, get reliable people to stay in my house, decide what I could take, and most of all, research, research, research. This really paid off, as my monetary projections were so accurate I left Thailand with only 35 baht to my name, and hadn’t even taken a credit card.

If you have the inclination and any opportunity to do this, well, then do it. You really can! It will change the rest of your life.
    Last edited by hroach; 03-08-2007 at 11:13 AM.

All I can do, married with kids, is go on the Internet and explore the deals: I guess I travel through osmosis.

I wish I had the time and the money:

http://surftofind.com/travel

Hroach, I am totally inspired by your story! Did you speak any foreign languages? Did you get hassled a lot by men, or did you find people mostly friendly and welcoming to you as a solo female traveler? When you say you took things one piece at a time, do you mean that you went home in between, or took a few days to just chill out in different parts of the world before moving to a new continent/region, or what? Did you buy a round-the-world plane ticket, or just do point to point as you went?

Sorry for all the questions, but I find this sort of trip so interesting and tempting...just need to decide when and how to do it myself...

I've been travelling on and off for nearly 5 years, been to about 15 countries..people always say they wanna do it, if you can then do it!..it's the most amazing thing ever..when im travelling im free to just be. I'm 24 just now next stop is south america for about a year then who knows..and you know what...im happy.

Quote Originally Posted by jilldo View Post
    I've been travelling on and off for nearly 5 years, been to about 15 countries..people always say they wanna do it, if you can then do it!..it's the most amazing thing ever..when im travelling im free to just be. I'm 24 just now next stop is south america for about a year then who knows..and you know what...im happy.
    This is so cool! Would you mind telling us a little more about where you've been and (more importantly!) how you've made it happen? Ie do you stop along the way and live/work in various countries to replenish your funds, or did you save up a whole heap of money beforehand, or what?

hey,im 23 and planning going on around the world trip in september,i was suppost 2 b going with some mates but they have pulled out for money reasons.i still want 2 go but im a bit worried about the whole travelling by yourself thing.so if any 1 has done it could they please tell me what it was like and any usefull tips. thanks

I wish I could save up enough money to travel the whole world! It would be really nice to just explore other cultures and never having to worry about getting back to work!

I mostly have; just missing two Continents - Africa & South America. Friends of mine recently did both and weren't very happy with either holiday and they are very intrepid travelers, i.e. not fussy (they are hearty NZ farmers, my friends) but, I have strong desires to see some of Africa, S. America & India (a sub-Continent of Asia, which I've been to).

I feel very fortunate to have been to 4 Continents thus far. Looking forward to the rest. Doubt I'll get to Antarctica, but then how things go in my life, who knows? I'd love to see those wonderful penguins!!
    Colleen Costello
    Message Board Moderator

Host Bonjour
    www.IndependentTraveler.com
    Follow on Twiiter @TravelEditor & Facebook
    HostColleen
    www.FamilyVacationCritic.com
    Follow on Twitter @FamilyVacation & Facebook

While I have no desire to travel round the world in one fell swoop, I had to respond to the bit about South America.

I've been to Chile and highly recommend it. Argentina is supposed to be fantastic as well.

One of my "dream" trips is to go up the Amazon in Brazil.

I tell you what if there is one place that you should go if you ever get the chance and that is South Africa. There are some amazing places there and here are some great facts about the country: http://www.trulysouthafrican.com/intresting_facts.php

Enjoy!!

My biggest dream is to travel around the world and Know new cultures, people and beautiful landscapes that exist on our planet.
    But right now I do not have enough money to do so and also I have to wait a while because I must first finish college ...
    However, I know that I consider certain things but when I think I can visit many countries, my dream of traveling around the world is more .....
    Last edited by travelgbiza; 10-24-2009 at 02:00 AM.

When you guys do travel around the world, i hope at some point you will be able to visit the Philippines. It's such a beautiful country with very hospitable people. And the beaches? breathtaking. If you want some sun, fun, and some really beautiful sceneries, this country should be on your list. And a few more tips, don't forget to visit the islands of Cebu, Boracay and Palawan.

I want to travel around the world, or maybe just the United States, this summer and I was wondering what are some tips and tricks I should know to help me survive out there without spending a lot of money.What are some good strategies for traveling around the world on a small budget?

What is the best way to travel across the world and have a lot of flexibility with my travels?

Hi

I am from Australia right, and a friend and I would like to travel in 3 years time, when we turn 21. We will travel for a year and at the end of it we will end up in NYC where she is permanently going to live We would like to start of in New Zealand, then to Bali, Malta and then through some of the countries in Europe, then down to Brazil, then back up tho the Bahamas, LA, canada and then NYC.

I have a few queries, what are some ideas for cheapest travel? We were thinking about getting jobs in some of the places we plan to stay for like a month or whatevs so that we dont have to save as much up front, is this a good idea?

Also would it be cheaper for us to go as a group of two or as a bigger group of 4 or 5?

Also best way to travel as we are new to this sort of thing!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers H

+ Reply to Thread